Schenectady, New York

The agent did not show up for sales talk, and when I called, he said "Oh, I was just going to call." then he never got back to is, and because we liked the windows, we swallowed our pride and called him back. The cost was a lot higher than we figured, but went ahead with three windows.

They installed them, less the inside trim, which I said I could do. The guy said they cailked outside. The first cold weather I checked the new windows and at every one the cold air was pouring in around the edges of the new windows, and I mean pouring in. I had to grab my own caulk and do the inside gaps between their window and the wooden frame.

This was not about trim, which is decorative and not yet installed. There was an open passage for outside air around the windows. So how can they claim the windows improve neating efficiency if the whole install leaks? I checked their "caulking" outisde, and it was just a little at the bottom edge at the sill.

There was a quarter inch gap all around the window with no caulk, as far as I can see.

I could stick a screwdriver right in, and this is an open air gap as far as I can see. i will just do the work myself, so we paid a premium price of a low end installation.

Product or Service Mentioned: Window World Window.

Preferred solution: Price reduction.

Window World Cons: Lack of customer service.

Comments

#962020

This is typical of vinyl Windows and they certainly don't tell you when selling them to you.

Most installation instructions for vinyl specifically require a 1/4 inch gap around the entire window because vinyl expands at 3-4 times the rate of any other framing material. Without this gap the window will expand and press into the surrounding wall until it warps the frame or breaks the glass.

You get what you pay for.

Window World advertises windows that are under $300. Do the math. The marketing costs them $100/lead plus the cost of sending someone out and the administrative cost of scheduling. When it's all said and done about $75-100 goes into manufacturing the entire window.

What do you expect for that price?

A quality window replacement solution will cost around $1000/per. Yes that's steep but if you buy a $400 vinyl you will replace three times to get the life as the $1000 Windows and who wants to do it three times?

@JT

Try Window Guru, they do a great job.